THE BAREFOOT SPEAKER

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Break throughs!!

Hi everyone
After much researching and head, against a wall, banging i have begun to make some good progress.
I have had a number of very helpful telephone, email, Blog and even face to face conversations around the whole topic of BAPP and my lines of enquiry. Here are my findings thus far.
Lisa Whyte's proposed Award Title has really inspired me and so now I'm considering 'Performing and either Production or Presenting', as either of these are relevant and supported by my previous and current studies/experience and also will support me in my ongoing career aspirations...WOOHOO finally some progress.
Also finding Lisa as a fellow BAPP'er who's interests are relatively aligned with mine is brilliant as i was beginning to think that i was going to have to continue my networking and investigations almost wholly outside of the BAPP Network, making it really inconvenient for Blogging to be used as supportive evidence/examples for future work. Corinda and Hannah have also offered some assistance and great advice.
If ANYONE would like some support or feedback on their topic then this is a genuine and sincere offer, what ever i CAN offer. Just comment here and i'll do everything i can to help, whether similar topic or not.
Its so important to receive help and allow others to support you - Thank you to those who have been helping me get my self back on track, i am eternally grateful.
I have lined up a number of professionals i know or have had contact with to test out some questionnaire's on, i decided it was better to use (as i have the contacts to do so) people in the industry rather than my fellow students or family etc. I know these people well enough to use them as guinea pigs and for them to be happy to take part and help out. So over the next couple of days i will finish off my questions and next week begin my interviews - recording and then dictating them.
I am still open to a little fine tuning of my final enquiry but currently it sits as interviewing a number (3 probably) industry professionals. Where i am still a little unsure is whether i want to pay homage to 3 very experienced/retired/resected coaches/speakers or do an observational piece on 3 different approaches to the same industry/job/role. I'm hoping that through carrying out these first tester interviews i'll have some break throughs and clarity on which excites me most and which would be most beneficial to me.
There it is folks so far.
Let me know if i can help you at all, in anything, or if you have any thoughts that may be helpful - books, links, conversations you've come across that i could look at.
I hope you are all doing really well in your own works of art.
Stay safe - Phil

6 comments:

  1. Hi Phil,

    Sounds like you;ve got your mojo back, as they say! I'm really pleased for you, I know how frustrating it is when you feel at a dead end with no inspiration.

    I think you're absolutely right, try out these interviews and from this you will get a good idea on exactly how you want to go ahead with the actual inquiry. The important thing to remember at this stage is that it still is trial and error, the whole point of the 'pilot' exercises are to find out what method works for us and similarly what doesn't work!

    Looking forward to hearing about your pilot interviews/questionnaires :)

    Take care Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Phil...I´m really happy to read you are finding yourself on the right track....great and must be quite a relief....I´m still a little blurry about my ideas...I want to look into the social aspects of dance....what position dancers hold in society, their habits, etc....I´m not really finding a SIG, so I´m not really getting too much support from fellow BAPPers....do you have any advice for me...and helpful hints....would love to hear from you....take care and keep up your good work....
    .fi ((O;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Fiona
    Lovely to hear from you. I, like you, find the study of people (habits, social status, what makes us tick etc) fascinating. I too was getting a little lost/overwhelmed by the information/sources out there. So i spoke with Alan Durrant and one piece of advice that he gave me was to ensure that what ever i finally settled on i could really go into great depth into. That is to really drill down into a specific topic rather than more of an overview (not that that's what you were ever intending to do) of a broader one, however interesting. In my mind I've realised that i can't investigate everything that i want to, this project can't do it all. You must chose something that inspires you that you also feel confident you can deeply and thoroughly investigate. Also have you spoken yet with Alicia Beck as i believe her areas of interest are very much inline with your own. You could also try speaking with Hannah Kenneadeally-Muir or Emily Brenchley as i know they are both interested the habits of dancers outside of work and the treatment of dancers respectively. I've been re-looking through all the blogs i could to try and find the person who is researching how dancers are treated and viewed both at work and outside of it but i can't for the life of me find them. I will blog you when i find them but in the mean time take an hour a day and flick through others lines of enquiry posts you will find even more people who you can bounce ideas off of and receive help from in return. I hope that thats been of some help darlin. If i can do anything else just blog me.
    Stay safe - Phil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jo for you support.
    You are bang on the money, i need to keep reminding myself that we are just, at this stage, piloting things. Still really struggle with not doing it perfectly the first time...will i never learn...probably not!
    Hope yours are going well i'll check in with you as soon as my questionnaires are done.
    Stay safe - Phil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Phil! Glad to hear you are back on track with your inquiry! I'd be happy to help and comment on your posts! Like you I'm finding not many people are going down the same inquiry route as myself. Have you tried finding any groups simillar to your interests on linked in? I've had a few inspiring discussions with professionals from around the world! People seem happy to get involved and discuss ideas! Have you started writing up your plan? How is it going?
    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Emily
    Nice to hear from you. That's a great idea, I have actually started looking for some helpful groups on Linkd in, on Corinda's recommendation. I have as yet not found any useful ones. I joined around 6 groups and 2 companies but on some of them there were absolutely no conversations and on a couple of others they wanted money to join. I will re visit this resource and try again to find some helpful contacts.
    Let me know if i can do anything to help you and your enquiry darlin.
    Stay safe - Phil

    ReplyDelete